Linux and ACPI for Lenovo. not specific to crux

Chris Pemberton cjpembo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 14:58:17 UTC 2007

fernanbolando wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was wondering if any of you guys have a lenovo notebook running linux.
>
> I recently bought a lenovo, to replace my very old toshiba.
> The toshiba had allowed me to set most of the power management
> stuff through  the BIOS so I simply enabled only the very basic ACPI
> in my kernel.
>
> Now the lenovo's BIOS is not very extensive. Now I need help
> understanding, what options to enable in my kernel or can I just trust
> the BIOS that it is actually doing the right power management?
>
> I just want the notebook to run as long and as cool as possible. I mostly
> connect to a plan9 for most of the cpu extensive stuff so running the
> system hot is not necessary to get the best performance.
>
> Can sombody suggest which ACPI options to activate in the kernel
> ( example: cpu scalling, etc )
> A starting point would be great, because I have ignored most of the ACPI
> stuff for so long that I dont know were to start.
>
> thanks
> Fernan

Here is the config for kernel 2.6.22.6 on my Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop:

I also use the following:

echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings

Read Intel's documents regarding Enhanced Intel Speedstep:

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/1611.htm

Good luck and your mileage may vary...

Chris