Linux and ACPI for Lenovo. not specific to crux

fernanbolando fernanbolando at ceccoils.com
Fri Nov 9 00:53:48 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Pemberton <cjpembo at gmail.com>
To: crux at lists.crux.nu
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 08:58:17 -0600
Subject: Re: Linux and ACPI for Lenovo. not specific to crux

> fernanbolando wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I was wondering if any of you guys have a lenovo notebook running
> linux.
> >
> > I recently bought a lenovo, to replace my very old toshiba.
> > The toshiba had allowed me to set most of the power management
> > stuff through  the BIOS so I simply enabled only the very basic ACPI
> > in my kernel.
> >
> > Now the lenovo's BIOS is not very extensive. Now I need help
> > understanding, what options to enable in my kernel or can I just
> trust
> > the BIOS that it is actually doing the right power management?
> >
> > I just want the notebook to run as long and as cool as possible. I
> mostly
> > connect to a plan9 for most of the cpu extensive stuff so running the
> > system hot is not necessary to get the best performance.
> >
> > Can sombody suggest which ACPI options to activate in the kernel
> > ( example: cpu scalling, etc )
> > A starting point would be great, because I have ignored most of the
> ACPI
> > stuff for so long that I dont know were to start.
> >
> > thanks
> > Fernan

> Here is the config for kernel 2.6.22.6 on my Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop:
>
> I also use the following:
>
> echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings
>
> Read Intel's documents regarding Enhanced Intel Speedstep:
>
> http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/1611.htm
>
> Good luck and your mileage may vary...
>
> Chris

I got my ACPI going. thanks for all the help.

As it turns out I can only use p4_clockmod because my new laptop
has only a celeron M. I am able to slow it down, But I am not really
sure if it is really lowering the temp. Other than feeling sluggish and
clumsy when I drive the clock, I am not really sure how check. On going
monitoring.

Fernan