Installing CRUX on 2nd HDD

Joe Gilmour jgilmour at bigpond.net.au
Sun Nov 11 19:45:19 UTC 2007

Pawel Wielgus wrote:
> Dear CRUXers,
>
> I need your advice before I proceed with a new installation of CRUX 2.3
>
> I have an older CRUX on /dev/sda, under which I'm currently working.
> Then I have a second HDD, which can be mounted using USB cable as
> /dev/sdb. How can I install CRUX2.3 on /dev/sdb (through USB cable),
> working under /dev/sda at the same time? I imagine I should chroot to
> CRUX2.3 install CD, and then proceed as in a normal installation. By I'm
> not sure how to properly chroot to CD. Can you give me any hints?
>
> I cannot attach both HDD's at the same time as IDE devices - it's a
> notebook. Also it's too simple to exchange HDD's for installation :)
>
> I appreciate any help,
>
> Pawel

I've done this a few times now.  Yes just install as you normally would
using chroot.  The only things you need to be aware of are that
lilo/grub will need to point to sdb and fstab will need to point to the
correct locations as well.  Once you then boot into the new HDD then
fstab will need to be setup properly.

HTH.

Joe