pure-ftpd on 64bit crux

Juergen Daubert jue at jue.li
Wed Jul 1 19:48:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 06:55:31PM +0200, jakub samek wrote:
> hello!

Hello Jakub,

> I use Hannes Mayer's 64bit CRUX 2.5, almost all packages up to date.
> I have problem with pure-ftpd, it compiles and runs fine, active ftp
> connections are without problem (for example totalcommander in
> windows, or builtin' ftp client in mc) but when somebody tries to
> use passive connection (for example standrard ftp command) it
> fails.. (but login is ok).

I think you're mixing the things up. mc always use ftp in passive-mode,
while the commandline ftp client from core/inetutils can only work in
active-mode, meaning ftp data are send on port 20, the regular ftp
protocol on port 21. The data connection is only established if data
needs to be transfered, for directory listings for example.

> here is how it looks:
>
> jakub at pIII ~]ftp olpc.cz
> Connected to olpc.cz.
> 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
> 220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
> 220-Local time is now 17:56. Server port: 21.
> 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
> 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
> 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
> Name (olpc.cz:jakub): olpc.cz
> 331 User olpc.cz OK. Password required
> Password:
> 230-User olpc.cz has group access to: sites
> 230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> ls
> 500 I won't open a connection to 0.0.0.0 (only to 81.0.199.230)
> ftp: bind: Address already in use
> ftp>
> jakub at pIII ~]

So port 21 works and obviously port 20, the data channel, not.
Looks more like a network (firewall, NAT) problem to me than an
issue with pure-ftpd.

Using opt/lftp might be helpful, it can work in both ftp modes,
controlled via the setting ftp:passive-mode. Start it with the
-d option to get a protocol trace.

> It's probably crux problem, because it works on other 64bit linux distros.

Probably not ;-)

HTH
Juergen

Juergen Daubert  |  mailto:jue at jue.li