Slim, X and problems

Alan alan+crux at mizrahi.com.ve
Wed Mar 4 01:22:25 UTC 2009

Quoting Wawrzyniec Niewodniczañski <wawrzek at gmail.com>:

> I'm looking for replacement something which doesn't need hundreds dependents.
> Could you suggest something please?
>
> I've also noted other nasty Crux behaviour recently. Slim does not start
> therefore, I have to start X from commandline. When I want to logout the
> system doesn't come back to text console, but screen stays black.
> Moreover, Ctrl+Alt+X X=3D{1..6} doesn't work. Do you have any idea why? I
> need to stop the whole computer. I'm not sure if I ssh to the machine.

xdm doesn't require anything besides standard xorg packages, but I
guess if you
are coming from Slim you won't be impressed.
I would recommend that if you already have KDE/Gnome installed, use kdm/gdm.

The ctrl+alt+x issue might be related to your video card driver.  Are
you using
an Intel video card? If so, an update in the kernel or in the
xorg-xf86-video-intel package could have triggered this behavior.  Just try to
downgrade to a previous version.

Of course you can ssh to the machine, you can even log into the virtual
console.
You won't be able to see what you are typing, but you can reboot/poweroff the
machine.

--
Alan