Migration of LVM to new OS

Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wawrzek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 23:03:58 UTC 2009

2009/11/2 Markus Messmer <markus.messmer at googlemail.com>:
Hi,
[...]
>> There is the different in the name convention (sdX in Ubuntu and hdX
>> in CRUX). Is there anything I should be aware before starting
>> migration?
[...]
> <*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers

I did as suggested, but it lead to small problem. I cannot boot the new kernel.

The lilo doesn't understand line "root=/dev/sdb1" when run from system
with the old kernel.

So i tried using uuid. It also didn't help.

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=CRUX
        root=/dev/hdb1
        append="root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/6274b1e0-f026-496c-af64-d0d19b39607a"
        read-only
#        append="quiet"

I thought about grub, but because of some reason (I guess BIOS
problem, as it takes ages to start the box) it didn't want to install
into the MBR.

Do you have any suggestion how move to the kernel with "SATA only support"?

Wawrzek

--
 Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański      vel Wawrzek Larry or LarryN
    Linux User #177124              E-MAIL: wawrzek at gmail.com
 PhD in Quantum Chemistry            WWW: http://wawrzek.name
 MSc in Molecular Engineering           JID: wawrzek at jabber.wroc.pl