Migration of LVM to new OS

Danny Rawlins d.rawlins at datafast.net.au
Thu Nov 5 01:49:12 UTC 2009

Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Markus Messmer <markus.messmer at googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
> [...]
>
>>> There is the different in the name convention (sdX in Ubuntu and hdX
>>> in CRUX). Is there anything I should be aware before starting
>>> migration?
>>>
> [...]
>
>> <*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers
>>

> I did as suggested, but it lead to small problem. I cannot boot the new kernel.
>
> The lilo doesn't understand line "root=/dev/sdb1" when run from system
> with the old kernel.
>
> So i tried using uuid. It also didn't help.
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>         label=CRUX
>         root=/dev/hdb1
>         append="root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/6274b1e0-f026-496c-af64-d0d19b39607a"
>         read-only
> #        append="quiet"
>
> I thought about grub, but because of some reason (I guess BIOS
> problem, as it takes ages to start the box) it didn't want to install
> into the MBR.
>
> Do you have any suggestion how move to the kernel with "SATA only support"?
>
> Wawrzek

You will want to use in lilo.conf

lba32
install=text
boot=/dev/sdb
append="quiet"

default=crux

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=crux
	root=/dev/sdb1
	read-only

Then to install the boot loader while your in old system:

lilo -M /dev/sdb

As after rebooting to to use new libata the node will be sdb instead of hdb, else you'll have a hard time trying to get it to find hdb when it's listed as sdb.

Regards,
Danny Rawlins