Migration of LVM to new OS

Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wawrzek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 08:55:28 UTC 2009

2009/11/5 Danny Rawlins <d.rawlins at datafast.net.au>:

Hi,
[...]
> Then to install the boot loader while your in old system:
>
> lilo -M /dev/sdb

I think it won't work, as the /dev/sdb is not present in 'old system'.

> As after rebooting to to use new libata the node will be sdb instead of hdb, else you'll have a hard time trying to get it to find hdb when it's listed as sdb.

You right ;)
But the problem is that it work in both direction. I've already tried
in the to add "root=/dev/sdb1" in 'old system' and lilo complained
that /dev/sdb1 didn't exist. Of course I could create a symlink or
change some udev rules, but the boot time of the machine does not
encourage to much 'blind tests'.

 I'll try chrooting with parameter from CD as suggested in other post.

Wawrzek

--
 Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański      vel Wawrzek Larry or LarryN
    Linux User #177124              E-MAIL: wawrzek at gmail.com
 PhD in Quantum Chemistry            WWW: http://wawrzek.name
 MSc in Molecular Engineering           JID: wawrzek at jabber.wroc.pl