OSS-QM project / meta-distro for QM

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue Aug 17 11:28:52 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I'd like to bundle the QM works of various distros into one projects
(called "oss-qm project"), so that individual distros can easily
share their changes and get notified automatically about the
other's changes.

The optimal way, IMHO, would be if everyone would use git repos
(instead of separate text-based patches) and always rebases their
releases ontop of the recent upstream tags, and push their stuff
into a central repository. Here's a little paper on that:

http://www.metux.de/download/oss-qm-project-2010050101.pdf

For crux linux, I'd imagine the following approach:

#1: make direct git-fetches possible (my pubgit.metux.de server
also provides tarball download, but I can't guarantee persistent
md5sums, since tar+bzip2 might not always produce equal output
in equal input for all future)

#2: step by step moving source trees (with the patches applied)
into git repos, as described by the paper and let the Pkginfo
just fetch the proper refs (eg. refs/tags/CRUX.$package-$version)
instead of uncompressing and patching the tarballs.

#3: step by step move the yet separately shipped extra files
(eg. additional manpages, but maybe also init scripts etc)
into git changes.

#4: alway do sourcetree changes in generic, distro-independent
ways (eg. not hardcoding pathes, instead adding new configure
options for them)

At the end of this process, Pkginfo files would only state the
git repo+ref and a few build commands, nothing more.

What do you think about this ?

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt at metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666