kernel compilation problem

Hazel Russman hazel_russman at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 23 13:32:18 UTC 2010

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 12:41:34 -0300
> From: justin domingue <justin.domingue at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Kernel Compilation Problem
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm starting with CRUX Linux and like it pretty much from what I've seen (especially philosophy).
>
> My problem is that I've never compiled my kernel, so I don't know what to put and my system would not boot because of that (well I think... I get this error : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on block () ).
> So i wanted to know if I could copy the CD kernel image... Would everything be okay if I was to do that?
>
> Thanks.

There are three things you need to have compiled right into your kernel, i.e. not as modules:

1) The correct driver for the type of hard drive you are using - SATA/PATA will work for both sata and ide drives, the old IDE driver for traditional ide drives only.

2) A driver for the filesystem of your root partition - ext2, ext3, reiserfs or whatever you're using.

3) A driver for the hard drive controller on your motherboard; I think most of these are included by default.

You also need to use the correct designation for your root partition in lilo or grub, and in /etc/fstab. For the IDE driver, use hd*, for the new SATA/PATA driver, use sd*.

And make full use of kernel help; it's the best computerised help system ever designed.
--
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman at yahoo.co.uk>