Idea to promote

Jose V Beneyto sepen at mikeux.dyndns.org
Fri May 28 11:27:26 UTC 2010

Hi Justin,

On 05/28/10 15:22, Justin wrote:
> I think it is a very good idea to incluse precompiled kernel option,
> just like in sourcemage.
well, it was/is always included, just see the /boot directory on the cdrom
> [...]
> Also, most of the people that are installing CRUX are only trying the
> distro, they only want to test if they like it. They could install
> faster with precompiled, and if they liked it, reinstall with compile
> kernel.
IMHO, the only thing related to our precompiled kernel is that we
assumed to use the initrd/squashfs image as the rootfs, and also all
common filesystem like vfat, ext2, ext3, ext4, xfs, jfs, nfs, reiserfs,
etc. are compiled as modules and need to be loaded from the
initrd/squashfs image, so you can't use this precompiled kernel to boot
directly a device with those filesystem's format unless you load first
the init script from initrd/squashfs, then modprobe manually the
filesystem(s) module(s) you need and finally mount-and-pivot_root to
your device.
Configuring a kernel with these common filesystems (not as modules) will
solve it, but anyways I can't see where's the problem with kernel
compilations for a linux advanced user ;D

Best regards,

--
Jose V Beneyto | http://sepen.mine.nu/