Problem printing from Firefox to Cups

Juergen Daubert jue at jue.li
Tue Aug 2 07:37:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 07:24:54PM +0100, Hazel Russman wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 09:02:37, Juergen Daubert wrote:
> > Thanks for the info. I've solved the issue and changed cups as discussed
> > by adding poppler to its dependency and setting --with-pdftops=pdftops [1].
>
> If you do it that way, we shall all need to install poppler even if we
> have xpdf installed already (I am in this position!)

You don't have to, cups builds and works just fine with an installed
xpdf ;)
I decided to use poppler instead of xpdf in the cups port, because it's
an actively maintained library and used by a couple of pdf-viewer like
raktpdf [1].

> Gentoo handles this sort of thing by making the dependency refer to a
> "virtual" package, which can correspond in practice to any of several
> different real packages. Is there anything like that in Crux?

Partly, prt-get has a undocumented feature called "aliases", see
/var/lib/pkg/prt-get.aliases. Adding 'xpdf: poppler' should work at
first sight, but it doesn't consider the dependencies of poppler,
they are still listed by prt-get.

Greetings
Juergen

[1] ftp://ftp.code-monkey.de/pub/raktpdf/