unable to boot JFS root on Crux 2.7

samwyse samwyse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:24:31 UTC 2011

I only recently discovered Crux, while looking for a small distro to use as
the basis of a virtual appliance.  I downloaded the ISO, created a VM, and
followed the directions in the handbook to install.  For some crazy reason,
I decided to give JFS a try as my root file system.  Unfortunately, my disk
won't boot.  I can boot from the ISO and mount the disk just fine, but the
VM's Phoenix BIOS skips over the disk and goes straight to PXE.

Here's my lilo.conf:
#
# /etc/lilo.conf: lilo(8) configuration, see lilo.conf(5)
#

lba32
install=text
boot=/dev/sda
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=CRUX
        root=/dev/sda1
        read-only
        append="quiet"

# End of file

Here's my fstab:
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
<pass>

/dev/sda1              /         jfs       defaults               1      1
#/dev/#SWAP#           swap      swap      defaults               0      0
#/dev/cdrom            /cdrom    iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide  0      0
#/dev/dvd              /dvd      udf       ro,user,noauto,unhide  0      0
#/dev/floppy/0         /floppy   vfat      user,noauto,unhide     0      0
devpts                 /dev/pts  devpts    defaults               0      0
none                   /sys      sysfs     defaults               0      0
none                   /proc     proc      defaults               0      0
#tmp                   /tmp      tmpfs     defaults               0      0
#shm                   /dev/shm  tmpfs     defaults               0      0
#usb                   /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults               0      0

# End of file