unable to boot JFS root on Crux 2.7

samwyse samwyse at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 04:08:05 UTC 2011

OK, I selected the JFS file system to be compiled into the kernel.  Still
couldn't boot.

I found a note on the wiki about booting without an initrd, I followed the
suggestions, still no luck.

I changed all /=m/ to /=y/ in the .config file to compile *everything* into
the kernel, found that 'make all' asked me some questions, but still didn't
feel the love.  :(

On the other hand, I've noticed that every time I try to mount my root file
system after booting from ISO, I have to run fsck.jfs first.  I haven't
tried mounting it read-only, but it appears that the ISO isn't cleanly
unmounting everything when I shutdown.  I'm not really wed to using a JFS
root, so I may try the more conventional ext4/3/2 and see how they work.