Kernel sometimes takes four or five resets to boot successfully

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Mon Dec 5 13:23:08 UTC 2011

On 4 Dec 2011 at 23:04Z, martu wrote:

> Had the kernel panic too when configuring my kernel.  For me it was
> that the driver for my SATA-controller in "Device Drivers->Serial ATA
> and Parallel ATA drivers" didn't work correctly (or was the wrong
> one).  With the driver in "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED)" it
> worked for me.  So check if you really have the correct driver for
> your SATA-controller compiled in or try the deprecated driver.

I have an nvidia motherboard and disabling the nvidia driver under
“Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers” stopped machine from booting with
a kernel panic, good, I am pretty sure therefore that it’s the correct
driver.

I tried replacing it with the deprecated drivers, but wasn’t sure which
one to enable—I enabled all the generic looking ones, but couldn’t see
any kind of nvidia driver.  What should I be looking for?

Thanks.