ISO image device driver gripes

samwyse samwyse at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 01:06:23 UTC 2011

This past week, I've installed Crux on my laptop about two dozen
times.  Well, not really my laptop, it's a virtual machine running on
my laptop.  And it's not because anything's wrong, but because I'm
trying to create a minimal installation.  (Read about it at
http://crux.nu/Wiki/VMwarePlayer)  Along the way, I've had to deal
with a few nagging issues.  Not really problems, I'm sure everything
is working as designed, I'm just not particularly happy with a few
details.  I've listed those grips on the wiki, but I'll repeat them
here to save you time.

The first one is a small matter.  The Crux installation image doesn't
contain a floppy driver. I'm a lazy programmer.  If I have to do
something more than once, I try to automate with a script. Since I've
redone my installation so many times, I've written some scripts to
automate the process, which I'm keeping on a USB thumb drive.
However, it's a bit inconvenient.  VMware allows you to use a floppy
image as a virtual floppy disk, just like you'd use an ISO file as a
CD-ROM, except you can write to it.  The good thing about this is that
I can keep the floppy image in the same directory as the rest of my
VM.  That means that if I revisit my project in a year or so, I don't
have to worry about which thumb drive I was using way back when.

The second gripe is a bit larger.  There are no network drivers loaded
on the installation image. This means that I can't install contributed
ports without a reboot of my VM off the virtual disk. To that end,
I've added a runonce process to /etc/rc.local. It scans an
/etc/runonce.d directory for executable files, runs them (duh!), and
moves them into a success or failure subdirectory.  But it would be
nice (and faster) if could do everything while I was running from the
ISO.

Thanks.