Out of memory error when trying to build Firefox 5.0

Hazel Russman hazel_russman at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 16:22:48 UTC 2011

I have 256MB core, which has been sufficient for all my needs until now. I use Crux partly because it runs efficiently and fast even on old hardware like mine. But I cannot build the new version of Firefox even in single-user mode with nothing else running. I get these errors:

Out of memory: Kill process 17115 (ld) score 7716 or a child
Killed process 17115 (ld) vsz 493824kB, anon-rss: 232832kB, file rss: 4kB
Collect 2: ld terminated with signal 9 [Killed]
make[3]: *** [libxul.so] error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/data/firefox_build/work/src/mozilla_release/toolkit/library'
make [2]: *** [libs_tier_platform] error 2
make [2]: Leaving directory '/home/data/firefox_build/work/src/mozilla_release'
make [1]: *** [tier_platform] error 2
make [1]: Leaving directory '/home/data/firefox_build/work/src/mozilla_release'
make: *** [default] Error 2
============> ERROR: Building 'home/data/firefox_build/firefox#5.0-1.pkg.tar.gz' failed.

Is there any possibility of getting hold of a binary version that is compatible with the current Crux libraries?
--
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman at yahoo.co.uk>