Problem printing from Firefox to Cups

Markus Heinz markus.heinz at uni-dortmund.de
Thu Jul 28 17:24:15 UTC 2011

Hello,

I cannot print from firefox to cups. I use cups 1.4.8-1 and firefox
5.0.1-1. The message in the cups error log is as follows:

Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Print-Job
(ipp://localhost:631/printers/dj5550) from localhost

I use the hpijs printer driver to print to a HP Deskjet 5550 printer.
Printing the test page from the cups web interface works flawlessly.

Printing from the chromium web browser does not work too. The error
message is the same. The only way to print a web page for me is to
print it from firefox to a PDF file and then print the PDF file from
epdfview. This works.

The problem existed before the latest cups update with cups version
1.4.6-1 too. I cannot exactly tell when it started. I only remember
that some month ago I could print from firefox without problems.

Has anyone an idea how to fix this?

Regards

Markus