vim's Pkgfile

Juergen Daubert jue at jue.li
Sat Mar 19 14:24:57 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:03:59PM +0100, Michal Soltys wrote:
> On 11-03-19 09:52, Juergen Daubert wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:35:44PM +0100, Michal Soltys wrote:
> >
> >Hi Michal,
> >
> >thanks for the patch, comments below:
> >
> >> This patch introduces small change that should make vim updates a bit
> >> less irritating - currently Pkgfile depends on manually prepared batches
> >> of official patches. With a bit of shell/eval trickey in source=() it's
> >> now independent from that - only thing needed to update now is just bumping
> >> the version number.
> >
> >I prefer to stick with our patch-collections rather than populate users
> >disk with a lot of small patches
> >

> All right. Though prtwash -s would do the thing :)

> >> - attr was missing in depends
> >
> >attr depends on acl, so it's not necessary to list attr
> >

> Ok - I assumed that all /direct/ dependencies of the binaries should
> be listed (it's similar story with gcc's cc1, which directly depends
> on all lib{gmp,mpc,mpfr} ).

No, our current rule is to list only the minimal set. The utility
'findredundantdeps' can be used to find redundant dependencies.

> >> - possibly controversial: system-wide vimrc now resides in /etc
> >
> >see http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-7#ntoc26, we should not use /etc for
> >vim here
> >
> >> - runtime path is not "simplified", so it resides in vim's default now
> >
> >that's a regression IMO, we would break other stuff that installs vim
> >extensions
>
> You mean in preexisting users' installations ?

Yeah. Users might have added files to e.g. /usr/share/vim/syntax.

> FWIW, quick grep over all ports' footprints showed no apparent
> problems on this front at least, so I thought that was quick and
> safe change.
> Point being of the change - I'm always uneasy about adjusting vim's
> default directory layout.

Sorry, but I don't get it why it's better to use a subdirectory
/usr/share/vim/vim73 instead of /usr/share/vim?
But well, I have no strong opinion here, if it simplifies things
somewhere we can do that ;) But a change should be postponed until
the next CRUX release IMO.

regards
Juergen

Juergen Daubert  |  mailto:jue at jue.li