New texlive port

Markus Heinz markus.heinz at uni-dortmund.de
Thu Nov 1 13:06:00 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 06:04:04 +1100
Danny Rawlins <monster.romster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/11/12 04:40, Markus Heinz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:57:19 -0400
> > Ryan Mullen <rmmullen at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have no idea, but the older tetex port had a postinstall script
> >> that executes these commands:
> >>
> >> fmtutil-sys --all
> >> updmap-sys
> >>
> >> My tetex was unusable until I ran these commands and I forget the
> >> error messages. I'm not sure if texlive is similar.
> > These commands output the following errors:
> >
> > # fmtutil-sys --all
> > /usr/bin/fmtutil: line 395: //texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file
> > or directory
> > fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> > # updmap-sys
> > Can't locate TeXLive/TLUtils.pm in @INC (@INC
> > contains: //tlpkg /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16/linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16 /usr/lib/perl5/5.16/linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.16 .)
> > at /usr/bin/updmap line 41. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
> > at /usr/bin/updmap line 41.
> >
> I'm looking into it, but I have little time until after Monday. Any
> additional findings/information would be welcome.

Now I got it somehow to work. I have set these environment variables:

TEXMFMAIN=/usr/share/texmf
TEXMFDIST=/usr/share/texmf-dist
TEXMFVAR=/usr/share/texmf-var
export TEXMFMAIN
export TEXMFDIST
export TEXMFVAR

It is possibly that one had to set one more variable for the next step,
but unfortunately I cannot remember what I did last night exactly.

Then I have run "fmtutil-sys --all" as root. This created me a
folder /texmf-var. I do not think that this is the correct location for
this folder but if it is not there things do not work.

Finally I have set a symlink from /usr/bin/pdftex to pdflatex. When
calling pdflatex now I can compile my latex sources to pdf.

Best regards

Markus