How to create ports of an existing project

Predrag Ivanovic predivan at open.telekom.rs
Sat Nov 3 11:54:26 UTC 2012

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 10:06:12 +0200
Stefan Stefanov wrote:

>I'm new to CRUX and cannot really understand how to create my own ports.
>For example I want to create CRUX ports of mate project.
>There is a direct source download http://pub.mate-desktop.org/releases/1.5/
>and also git repository http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/building on the
>mate-desktop web-site.
>
>Can you please describe in more detail how to do that?

Packaging DE is a lot of work, but you will learn a lot too :)
First, get familiar with http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-8#ntoc21.

You could also check xfce4 repo, to see how DE repo should loook like.
Basically, the idea is that you'll only need core,opt and, in this case mate repo to compile and
install.

Hunting dependencies for ports can be tedious, but there is a list here http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/building.
It also lists the building order, which is nice, and it seems that mate uses 'configure, make , make install' dance, which will make
your life easier.

Best way to learn is to do :)
If you get stuck, there are smart people in #crux, so you can ask for help.
Good luck.

Pedja