Change in bash tab completion behaviour

Phil Thomson crux at philthomson.ca
Sat Apr 20 07:26:34 UTC 2013

Suppose I have a directory '/foo/'.

If I type 'cd /foo[TAB]', it correctly completes to 'cd /foo/'.

If I type 'ls /foo[TAB]', it completes to 'ls /foo ' with a space after it.

This is different from before; I am used to all commands behaving the
first way. I prefer this way because if there is a subdirectory, it is
easy to switch to it. The second way has it so that I have to backspace
and add the trailing slash manually before I can start typing the name
of the subdirectory.

This is something that has started happening recently with bash
completion. Does anyone know what's going on?