Problems updating gcc to 4.7.3 - solved

Fredrik Rinnestam fredrik at rinnestam.se
Sun Aug 11 14:47:41 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 01:32:52PM +0000, Bernd Eggink wrote:
> On 11.08.2013 00:47, Alan wrote:
>
> >You should also verify if your Kernel can run 32 bit programs, I think
> >the option is CONFIG_X86_X32.
>
> Bingo! I wasn't aware of this option - never compiled a 64-bit
> kernel before. Thanks a lot.
> IMHO it would be a good idea to add a README concerning this option
> to the gcc port, and also the dependency from glibc-32.

The correct option is "IA32_EMULATION". CONFIG_X86_X32 will select
IA32_EMULATION as a dependency.

CONFIG_X86_X32:

Include code to run binaries for the x32 native 32-bit ABI
for 64-bit processors.  An x32 process gets access to the
full 64-bit register file and wide data path while leaving
pointers at 32 bits for smaller memory footprint.
You will need a recent binutils (2.22 or later) with
elf32_x86_64 support enabled to compile a kernel with this
option set.

--

Fredrik Rinnestam