Using Compton, lightweight X11 compositor, in XFCE

Predrag Ivanovic predivan at open.telekom.rs
Sun Dec 1 19:38:04 UTC 2013

Hello.

For a few days now, I am testing Compton as a replacement for xfwm4 compositor in XFCE.
Native xfwm4 compositor has some issues, video tearing etc., with Nvidia binary driver.
So far, compton works fine, I had no issues with it.

If you want to play with it, port for it and libconfig (updated port from Tilmans repo (thanks, btw :) ) are attached.
There is a README and compton.conf.xfce in the port, slightly modified for Nvidia binary driver and Xfce.

More information at

https://github.com/chjj/compton

http://duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/how-to-switch-to-compton-for-beautiful-tear-free-compositing-in-xfce/

Pedja