Using Compton, lightweight X11 compositor, in XFCE

Rex bjorn at krstarica.com
Mon Dec 2 14:55:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 13:34:03 +0100
Predrag Ivanovic <predivan at open.telekom.rs> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:45:55 +1000
> James Mills wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Predrag Ivanovic
> ><predivan at open.telekom.rs>wrote:
> >
> >> I haven't tried it, and there is no mention in docs about zoom, sorry.
> >>  Open the issue at github, developer actually reads it :) and seems open
> >
> >suggestions, ideas and patches.
> >>

> >What's the status of compton anyway?
> >Is it the official Xorg compositing engine?
> >
> >cheers
> >James
>
> Compton is a fork of xcompmgr-dana, which is a fork of xcompmgr
> (PoC compositor from xorg, or closest to 'official xorg compositing engine' you can get).
>
> Some distributions are considering compton as a replacement/alternative  to Compiz or xfwm compositor,
> because not everyone wants all the bells and whistles that Compiz has, so its
> better suited for light(er) DE, and it just works[tm] (after some tinkering with default configuration).
>
> And for 0.x release, it is very stable and fast :)
>
> My .02 RSD (I ran out of cents).
>
> Pedja

Actually, XFWM's compositor seems very similar to Compton's (shadows on
windows etc.) and it works perfectly for my netbook with no screen
tearing when I'm playing videos or using transparent terminals
(GMA3150, xf86-video-intel).

Compton may be useful for Openbox, but XFCE's compositor is just fine
for XFCE. Check your xorg.conf or xorg.conf.d, people. ;)

P.S.: Peđo, pozdrav sunarodniče!
--
Rex <bjorn at krstarica.com>