Using Compton, lightweight X11 compositor, in XFCE

Rex bjorn at krstarica.com
Mon Dec 2 16:58:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:16:42 +0100
Predrag Ivanovic <predivan at open.telekom.rs> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 15:55:18 +0100
> Rex wrote:
>

> >Compton may be useful for Openbox, but XFCE's compositor is just fine
> >for XFCE. Check your xorg.conf or xorg.conf.d, people. ;)
>
> Would you mind pasting your xorg.conf, and/or any special settings
> that you use?
> Mine is rather minimal, Xorg JustWorks[tm] these days :)

Here you go, place the following text into a file
named /etx/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver     "intel"
  Option     "AccelMethod" "sna"
  Option     "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

And to make sure mplayer plays videos without tearing, I use this
configure file (/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf):

vo=gl_nosw
double=yes
ao=alsa
cache=32768

lavdopts=threads=2
use-filename-title=yes
af=scaletempo
idx=yes
subfont-osd-scale=2

With this configuration I have no problems with compositing and
everything works perfectly fine, even playback of 720p video (mp4 and
webm), but Flash is still slow, the plugin sucks.
--
Rex <bjorn at krstarica.com>