[ANN] CRUX 3.2-rc3 available for testing

Alan Mizrahi alan+crux at mizrahi.com.ve
Wed Nov 4 13:34:48 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-04 19:37, Juergen Daubert wrote:
 > Thanks for the report. A proper fix would be to remove the bashism from
 > x11vnc, but for now I'd suggest to apply the following patch to the port.

The problem is not a bashism, but a dashism.

Take a look at the generated rfb/rfbconfig.h file by dash, it has
non-printable characters.

In dash, the output from:
echo "\1"
is the non-printable character that would require a leading zero in any
other shell.

 From what I read, the posix standard is not explicit in the output of
this escape sequence, so dash chooses to produce the non-printable
character while the other shells produce the output that most people expect.

This has been discussed in their mailing lists, and patchs have been
proposed but not accepted:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dash%40vger.kernel.org/msg00635.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/dash%40vger.kernel.org/msg00963.html

Expect trouble from using dash as /bin/sh.

Regards,

Alan Mizrahi