[ANN] CRUX 3.2-rc3 available for testing

Juergen Daubert jue at jue.li
Sat Nov 7 10:27:25 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 08:50:10PM -0600, Antonio Hernández Blas wrote:
>    On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Alan Mizrahi <[1]alan+crux at mizrahi.com.ve>
>    wrote:
>
>      Expect trouble from using dash as /bin/sh.

It's not a issue at all. All ports from our ISO, and everything we use
just works fine with dash. Currently we have only one port from opt, cppunit,
that needs the CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash fix.

>    Already noticed this with my own /etc/rc.d/vde2 script which uses bash
>    arrays :-)

Well, if you use bash arrays in a script you should use the right shebang ;)

>    Any benefit or reason behind the use of dash as sh?

Speed and resource usage. It's not relevant for things like rc scripts or
e.g. our pkgmk, but really notable for compiling sources that uses the
auto*/libtool stuff which normally calls a huge number of shells.
I've made a, for sure unscientific, test with interesting results, see
[1]. Memory usage of bash is around 5 times of dash.

Greetings
Juergen

[1] http://e33e40b3f200dbd7.paste.se/