[ANN] CRUX 3.2-rc3 available for testing

Antonio Hernández Blas hba.nihilismus at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 03:26:03 UTC 2015

Hi Juergen.

Thanks for the explanation and your tests. The only thing that I can ask at
this moment is, how often are *those* packages recompiled? and it wouldn't
make more sense to force the use of dash with *just* the packages that take
more time/resources?

In any case I'm going to be more careful with my own local ports :-)

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 4:27 AM, Juergen Daubert <jue at jue.li> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 08:50:10PM -0600, Antonio Hernández Blas wrote:
> >    On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Alan Mizrahi <[1]
> alan+crux at mizrahi.com.ve>
> >    wrote:
> >
> >      Expect trouble from using dash as /bin/sh.
> >

> It's not a issue at all. All ports from our ISO, and everything we use
> just works fine with dash. Currently we have only one port from opt,
> cppunit,
> that needs the CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash fix.
>
> >    Already noticed this with my own /etc/rc.d/vde2 script which uses bash
> >    arrays :-)
>
> Well, if you use bash arrays in a script you should use the right shebang
> ;)
>

> >    Any benefit or reason behind the use of dash as sh?
>
> Speed and resource usage. It's not relevant for things like rc scripts or
> e.g. our pkgmk, but really notable for compiling sources that uses the
> auto*/libtool stuff which normally calls a huge number of shells.
> I've made a, for sure unscientific, test with interesting results, see
> [1]. Memory usage of bash is around 5 times of dash.
>

> Greetings
> Juergen
>
> [1] http://e33e40b3f200dbd7.paste.se/

Antonio Hernández Blas | Oaxaca, México, Mx.
https://github.com/nihilismus | https://bitbucket.org/nihilismus |
https://twitter.com/nihilipster