tmpfs as /mnt install question

mvanroy at bellsouth.net mvanroy at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 22 02:30:48 UTC 2016

I don't know if this has anything to do with password, but:
tmpfs: Bad value '8gb' for mount option 'size'

 On Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:31 PM, Steve Volumetric <volumetricsteve at gmail.com> wrote:

 I apologize if this is the wrong place for this, but I'm trying to understand an issue I'm running into.
For educational purposes, I'm trying to install Crux 3.2 onto a ramdisk, naturally I know everything will disappear upon reboot, but I'm not worried about that - i'm just trying to see what can be done.
Going from the Official Crux 3.2 install guide, I go through all the same steps I generally follow, except to establish /mnt I do:
mount -t tmpfs -o size=8gb tmpfs /mnt
I can run the setup, I can setup-chroot, but I can't passwd
when I do passwd, it immediately tells me:
Changing password for rootEnter the new password (minimum of 5 characters)Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.Bad password: too short.Warning: weak password (enter it again to use it anyway)passwd: password changed.

but I don't even have a chance to type anything, it just does all of that at once.

When I look in /etc/passwd  I can see a line for root, but no password, unsurprisingly.
could the problem be in tmpfs?  I'm not sure what's really different here.Thank you.