Too afraid to try Crux, too nice to forget

David L. Craig dlc.usa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 14:18:13 UTC 2016

On 16Dec03:1349+0000, B B wrote:

> I guess I'll need rollbacks with any source based distro because the builds
> might fail or crash after install. Right?

CRUX rollbacks are trivial--pkgrm the new and pkgadd the old, it's
just a matter of deleting new files and tar x | cp -p the previous version.

> Most new versions make programs behave different, and in many cases this
> means worst. The rollback is a tool to workaround these problems. Another
> one is docker/containers/kvm. I don't care which one I use as long as it
> doesn't come with a bigger problem.

Most new versions add security patches.  Most of us think that's
very important.  If you avoid the bleeding edge, and do not track
and install security fixes for your installed packages, you are
asking for serious trouble.

> Also, I would like to avoid upgrades. When I can choose from two apps I
> consider the CVE history and the dependencies list.

The Debian Unstable (Sid) distro is a rolling distro, but it
breaks occassionally.  Upgrade distros are generally much more
tested than their rolling counterparts.

> I will try Mint on one of my machines because I'm curious. Now it has
> Ubuntu 16.10. I've tried to start one of my script which starts some
> program in the background. I couldn't from nautilus (or whatever). I had to
> launch it from Terminal. And when I've closed the Terminal my program was
> killed too. Not funny.

It's safer to shut down X and do system maintenance from a virtual
console (or a remote shell if you're sure the network will not
become the notwork).
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________