Porting

Erich Eckner crux at eckner.net
Sun Dec 11 16:15:42 UTC 2016

Hello Mitchell,

first: I'm just a user, not a dev, so maybe someone may correct me, but:

It is expected, that all ports from core are installed. The same does
not apply for opt, contrib, etc. Thus, the following only applies for core.

Dependencies in core are listed, iff they are dynamically linked in.

You won't list dependency 'patch', just because your Pkgfile applies a
patch.
You won't list bash, just because the installation process needs it.
You won't list bash, just because the installed program needs it (not
dynamically linked) - e.g. because it uses a bash script.
However, you will list libarchive if your port needs it at runtime.

The last one is useful (as the wiki mentions) to detect updates of ports
in core which trigger a need to rebuild dependent ports.

regards,
Erich

P.S.: Sry, Mitchell, the first mail was only adressed to you.