[ANN] CRUX 3.3-rc1 available for testing

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Wed Dec 21 19:11:20 UTC 2016

Hey!

Matt Housh <jaeger at crux.ninja> wrote:
 |The CRUX team is pleased to announce the availability of a first release
 |candidate for the upcoming CRUX 3.3.

That is pretty cool.  Thanks!

 |Please note that this is a release candidate, NOT the final release.
 |Please test it if you have a chance and report any problems you find to us!

No time for some more time, but truly looking forward!

 |The ISO itself can be found here:
 |
 |https://crux.ninja/crux/crux-3.3-rc1.iso
 |https://crux.ninja/crux/crux-3.3-rc1.md5

Not the reason for me at the moment, but i also don't have the
necessary bandwidth and remaining traffic for ~600 MB.
Couldn't the ISO be also made available in a compressed form,
xz(1) does compress such things very well?  For example, the last
DragonFly BSD ISO i have downloaded was only 170 MB when
compressed with xz, which was about 100 MB smaller than the bz2
that DragonFly makes available.

You know, there are people which do not work for a hoster and have
a very flaky wireless connection.

 |Enjoy!

I surely will!

P.S.: nothing much happened for the start-stop-daemon in the
meantime, regarding Linux that is.  It now uses asprintf() for
paths, but i had a hard time to imagine why this should matter in
real life for anything managed by s-s-d, and on CRUX.  (1024 bytes
for a message giving the managed program name, excess cut off.)

Ciao!

--steffen