installing CRUX

Anthony LaTorre tlatorre at uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 1 19:17:58 UTC 2016

I tried a few different optical drives to see if that might be the
issue, but no luck. Here are the BIOS options I think might be
relevant:

BIOS Options for CD-ROM
====================

- Multi-Sector Transfers: [Disabled]
- LBA Mode Control: [Disabled]
- 32 Bit I/O: [Enabled]
- Transfer Mode: [Fast PIO 2]
- Ultra DMA Mode: [Disabled]

Compact Flash
============

Cylinders: [16522] (interesting that it has a cylinders section for a CF card)
Heads: [15]
Sectors: [63]
Maximum Capacity: 7994 MB
Total Sectors: 15613920

Multi-Sector Transfers: [Disabled]
LBA Mode Control: [Enabled]
32 Bit I/O: [Enabled]
Transfer Mode: [Fast PIO 2]
Ultra DMA Mode: [Disabled]

Advanced Settings
==============

- Advanced Chipset Control
    - Video boot type [Onboard 1MB]
    - Enable Memory Gap [Disabled]
    - I/O Device Configuration
        - Serial Port A: [Auto]
        - Serial Port B: [Auto]
        - Floppy Disk Controller: [Disabled]
        - PS/2 Mouse [Auto Detect]
- Reset Configuration Data: [No]
- Installed O/S: [Other]
- Large Disk Access Mode: [Other]
- LBA Assisted Translation: [Disabled]
- Local Bus IDE Adapter: [Both]

- Assign Interrupt to USB: [Enabled]
- Legacy USB Support: [Enabled]

- CardBus Bridge Memory Size: [512 Kbyte]
- POST Errors: [Enabled]
- Force Hard Reset: [Disabled]

I've tried changing a few of the parameters and so far no luck. In
particular I tried turning off the DMA access for the CD ROM since I
know that the CF card must be set to nodma (see
http://edg.uchicago.edu/projects/vme7648/).

Thanks,

Tony