chromium sync not working

Jose Vicente Beneyto sepen at crux-arm.nu
Tue Jul 26 10:08:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 21/07/16 06:57, manu wrote:
> Actually, the chrome 'sync services' aren't available because the
> Pkgfile in
> opt/chromium doesn't build with api keys. You can generate/build with
> these keys
> using the following instructions[1]. I believe there's also an option
> to provide
> the keys at runtime. That should fix your problems with syncing.
>
> [...]

As I note in the README, for versions greather than 23.x.x.x they
restricted or removed support for unkeyed requests, so unless you have
set up your API keys some of the functionality of Chromium (e.g. “Sign
into Chromium …”) may stop working altogether

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 05:47:18AM +0000, Alex Matviychuk wrote:
>> So the implication then is that this was broken on Google's end
>> rather than
>> some issue with the crux build?
>>
>> Not sure why they wouldn't just harvest my info on crux just as
>> easily as
>> on other platforms. Is anyone running into this on non-crux builds of
>> chromium?

I never believed it necessary to hardcode API keys in the port since
CRUX is not a binary distribution and this can be done without problems
in runtime by environment variables.

The easiest way is to create your own API keys following the notes[1] in
the README  and add them for example to your ~/.bashrc

$ cat >> ~/.bashrc << __EOF__
GOOGLE_API_KEY=your_api_key
GOOGLE_DEFAULT_CLIENT_ID=your_client_id
GOOGLE_DEFAULT_CLIENT_SECRET=your_client_secret
__EOF__

In any case, today I will update the port again. ATM I'm building
Chromium 52.0.2743.82 which includes 48 security fixes.