journalctl

Predrag Ivanović predivan at mts.rs
Sun Nov 11 12:35:36 UTC 2018

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 21:02:14 +0100
Erich Eckner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm in the situation, that I need to look at systemd-journald logs on a
>crux machine. And I was wondering if anyone has done that before and is
>maybe willing to share a slim Pkgfile to compile/package only (or
>mostly) journalctl.
>The systemd guys suggest to compile whole systemd to get the log reader,
>but I would really not like to do that.

As I played with building systemd before, I hate to say it, but they are right :)
Over time, systemd upstream made it increasingly hard to build just the core.

Bad news: official release (239) is broken on Crux (our meson is too new, apparently).
Good news: systemd-stable-239 builds just fine, and journactl binary works, afaict.

1. Shallow clone the release with the backported patches (239-stable):

git clone https://github.com/systemd/systemd-stable.git -b v239-stable --depth 2

2. Run configure, then make

3. If it builds, and it should, rather quickly, the binaries are in the build directory.
So, just run ./journactl -h, to get the options.

Enjoy :)

Pedja