[Clc-crux64] Re: Crux64

Jochem Kossen jkossen at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 12 07:52:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 01:07:09AM +0000, Doan Vu wrote:
> >Jochem:  gcc built "out-of-the-box" with Per's make file.  It probably
> >used some 32-bit-ish options.  Could you send me your patch anyways (I
> >wasn't registered to the list yet when you sent it).
>
> Hey. You said you used Jochem's bin86 patch already, and he's only sent 2
> patches, so the one I've attached must be the one you want.. I hope.
>
> About building Crux.. I had a quick look at Per's Makefile and saw words
> like bootstrap and stageX that reminded me of building Gentoo. I'm not a
> Makefile expert, but the file is easy to read and decipher. Would I be
> right in saying that building Crux basically entails "make bootstrap" and
> then trying to fix up the compile errors associated with x86_64? I'd like
> to give this a go after the exam period when I'm hibernating.

Not sure about this, this is my first effort at porting to another arch.
My idea was to build the base ports on a distro, pkgadd them in a
chroot, and in that chroot run the make bootstrap. Otherwise you'd have
everything compiled against libraries from the host distribution...

> One more thing.. Jochem's Crux tarball doesn't contain the contrib
> collection - according to the Makefile, bootstrap will try to do "all
> collections", so wouldn't it complain about the missing contrib?

Yep, forgot about them :(

Here's the list of ports from base which don't compile with me:
	db
	lilo
	sysklogd
	tcsh
	traceroute

I don't have time to look at them this weekend un fortunately. For lilo,
Marcus sent in a mail containing a patch, but it's a big patch,
untested, and looks dirty IMHO, although i'm not that experienced in C.

lsantil says db compiles without the C++ API, but i don't think that's
acceptable unfortunately...