[Clc-crux64] pondering about lilo...

Jeremy Jones jeremy at samnjack.com
Tue Apr 26 21:32:53 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 23:19 +0200, Lars Helmer wrote:
> could someone please help me clear this out...
> i remember reading somewhere (probably at some
> fedora or gentoo place, or both) that lilo doesn't
> work on the x86-64 platform, and grub only compiled
> as static 32bit. i use the latter. but the great
> crux iso for this platform comes with lilo. so how
> is it? does lilo work, and if so, natively? or is
> the port some left-over from "regular" crux?

Back at lilo 21.something, lilo wouldn't build on x86_64.  At that time,
I had used a static binary from i686 crux.  I personally find grub to be
a bit of a pain in the ass, AND it won't build (still) on x86_64.  Now
lilo builds just fine...

Supposedly, grub2 should build on this arch, but I understand that may
be a ways out.

jeremy