[Clc-crux64] CRUX x86_64 package confusion

Frank Peters frank.peters at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 16:07:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:45:16 +1000
"Darran Kartaschew" <darran.kartaschew at nusystems.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just like to ask about the "libstdc++-compat" provided on the ISO. The
> one that I have (that comes with the ISO) appears to be a 32bit package?
> Is that correct?

Yes.  Just do the command "file libstdc++.(whatever)" to see that
those are 32-bit libraries.

> Is it possible to obtain a 64bit build of this library? (and the others
> included in the libstdc++-compat package)?

You can compile an earlier version of GCC yourself to obtain
the 64-bit libraries.  I believe that GCC-3.3.x contains the
libstdc++.so.5.  (The other libraries are from GCC-2.95.x
which I don't believe will compile on 64-bit architectures.)

You could also use a pre-built 64-bit package from some other
distribution, such as Mandrake.  Just use rpm2targz to extract
any RPM's.  Check out http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/ or some
other repository.

I have on my system the 64-bit libstdc++.so.5 that I got
from Mandrake.  If you want me to email that directly to
you, just send a message to the list.

Frank Peters