[Clc-crux64] CRUX64(-danm) and CLC

Daniel Mueller daniel at danm.de
Tue Dec 27 17:58:00 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 03:47, Lucas Hazel wrote:
> Regarding -fPIC, I've come across a few applications that won't compile
> without it. I've heard that not using it results in a slight
> performance increase, but that doesn't bother me. I'd rather my 0.2%
> CPU time to be used doing things correctly rather than quickly.

I've heard/read that too. But however, Matt left it out and told me he hasn't
got any problems so far.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~plasmaroo/devmanual/archs/amd64/

------------snip------------
[..]
On AMD64, this is a necessity, if shared objects aren't built with support for
position independent code, the build process bails out with an error message
like this:

foo.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared
object; recompile with -fPIC
[..]

bye, danm

--
Daniel Mueller
Berlin, Germany         OpenPGP: 1024D/E4F4383A