[Clc-crux64] Thanks, danm! Updates available, but read this

Jeremy Jones jeremy at samnjack.com
Fri Jul 22 15:51:18 UTC 2005

Thanks to danm's work, we now get native 32-bit capabilities out of gcc.
I have a few updates available in my ports repo now.  Most notably,
gcc-3.4.4 w/multilib and natively built glibc32.  Also, danm's patched
libpng is in my opt-x86_64, and firefox is updated to version 1.0.6.

About gcc-3.4.4 and glibc32-2.3.5 -- a bit of a chicken-egg issue here.
Because of the 64-bit gcc and glibc packages from the crux64 iso, you
won't be able to build these right off the bat.  I have precompiled
binary versions of gcc-3.4.4 and glibc32-2.3.5 available that you'll
need to use:

http://www.samnjack.com/crux-amd64/ports/binary/

Get 'em from here, pkgadd -u, then, if you're a stickler about such
things, you can build them natively.

Possibly today, more likely tomorrow, I'll try to throw together an
updated iso image, crux-x86_64-2.1.1.iso, with all the updates included.

Now a logistical question:

With native 32-bit abilities in gcc, I'll probably start building native
32-bit compatibility libs w/out using i686 crux's binary packages
re-packed.  Should these get stuck into opt-x86_64 or should we have a
separate compat-32 ports repository?

Thanks again, danm, and thanks to those of you using and testing crux64!

Jeremy