[Clc-crux64] problems with gtk and firefox

Jeremy Jones jeremy at samnjack.com
Tue May 31 15:20:33 UTC 2005

Hi Ron,

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 18:21 -0700, Ron Young wrote:
> I tried to install the firefox binary. I heard that flash and acroread will
> work with the 32-bit binary. The installer can't find the gtk libraries.

If you want to install 32-bit binaries that use gtk (or any other
libraries), you need to make sure you have 32-bit versions of the
libraries installed.  Do you.  Do "pkginfo -i | grep gtk" -- do you see
gtk 2.6.7-1 and gtk32 2.6.7-1?  The gtk32 package in opt-x86_64 puts
everything in /usr/lib32, so make sure that path is in /etc/ld.so.conf.
If not, add it and run "ldconfig".  It's possible that you may need to
add the path to the 32-bit gtk libraries manually to whatever command
line you use to install the 32-bit firefox.  There may be other library
dependencies that I've not yet provided 32-bit version of as well, and
you'll need to satisfy those yourself.  Running
"ldd /path/to/some/executable" will tell you what libraries it's
expecting to find.  If it's a 32-bit executable, you'll need 32-bit
versions of those libraries.

> Several other ports have trouble finding gtk with their configure files.

Last time you were having trouble with gtk, I asked you to make sure you
have all the ports you need, and to make sure prt-get.conf has the right
paths, in the right order.  Are all these things done?

> Is there anyway around this??

What errors are you getting in particular?  Knowing this'd help.

Jeremy