[Clc-crux64] crux64-2.2-test1 (danm)

Daniel Mueller daniel at danm.de
Wed Mar 29 21:54:59 UTC 2006

Hello,

some of you might have noticed that I've uploaded a 2.2-test1 iso image[1].

This and the future releases of (my) CRUX64 Linux differ from the main CRUX
distribution in some points.

+-----------------+
| glibc(/glibc32) |
+-----------------+
AMD64 optimizations
Support for linuxthreads AND Native POSIX Threads (ntpl) The NTPL libs are
separated in lib64/tls and lib32/tls. Programs will use NTPL by default.

+---------------------+
| introduction of PAM |
+---------------------+
Because it's hard and (very) time-consuming to configure PAM I decided to
deliver CRUX64 with pre-configured PAM. I liked SuSE's system best so I
packaged most of their pam-modules.

  o linux-pam     (latest kernel.org PAM-release)
  o pam_unix2     (instead of pam_unix)
  o pam_pwcheck   (password strength checking)
  o pam_homecheck (checks various files/permissions in ~/)

+--------------------------------+
| replacing shadow with pwdutils |
+--------------------------------+
As I said, I really like SuSE's system. The useradd(8) program is able to
create users in an LDAP directory. passwd(1) (in conjunction with pam_unix2)
is able to change passwords in local files, NIS and LDAP. The password hash
algorithm can be chosen in /etc/default/passwd (instead of login.defs
or /etc/pam.d/*).

+------------+
| /bin/login |
+------------+
pwdutils does not contain a login program. It's a separated package called:
  o pam_login

+-----------------------+
| openldap & cyrus-sasl |
+-----------------------+
Since pwdutils depends on libldap-2.3.so (openldap) openldap & cyrus-sasl are
now core ports.

o I haven't tested all new functions yet; especially the LDAP stuff :-(
o I call (my) version of CRUX64 "highly" experimental.

The install CD uses Johannes Winkelmann's 'setup-helper' script to inject the
missing packages during an upgrade. However, I've only tested an update from
crux 2.1.1 to crux 2.2 which went fine so far.

--------snip----------
remove_packages
	o shadow (conflicts with pwdutils and coreutils)
inject_packages
	o cyrus-sasl
	o openldap
	o linux-pam
	o pam_unix2
	o pam_pwcheck
	o pam_homecheck
	o pam_login
	o pwdutils
rename_packages
	o "pkgconfig:pkg-config"
--------snap------------

If you decide to install my version please keep in mind that I'm doing this
completely in my free time. I give no warranty[2]. At the moment it seems
that I'm the only one working on CRUX64 - don't expect me to update all ports
"in-time".

bye, danm

[1] http://crux.danm.de/files/iso/2.2-64bit/
[2] http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-2#ntoc8
--
Daniel Mueller
Berlin, Germany         OpenPGP: 1024D/E4F4383A