[crux64] multiarch

mvanroy mvanroy at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 11 17:49:02 UTC 2007

Lucas Hazel wrote:
> In the upcoming CRUX64 release, I am dabbling in a multiarch
> implementation. This is a deviation from the method used in 2.1.1-rc2
> that uses a seperate compat32 repo.

I am using the original 2.2-test1 and gradually going to 2.3 ports. Only
I am going strictly x86_64.
> The implemenation I am using extends existing ports using the following
> hierarchy (? indicates that the file is optional)
>
> port/
> 	Pkgfile
> 	.footprint
> 	.md5sum
>
> 	x86_64/
> 		Pkgfile?
> 		.footprint?
> 		(x86_64 specific sources included in port)
>
> 	compat32/
> 		Pkgfile?

IMHO this makes things too complicated. Every port has to be modified. I
prefer to disable multiarch and eliminate the lib32 altogether. So far
it seems to work in all but a few core and opt ports without modification.

> I have also added multiarch support to pkgmk, you can specify the arch
> with -a <arch>, for example to build the compat32 glib port:
>
> 	cd /usr/port/opt; pkgmk -a compat32
>
> This will build a package named glib-compat32#...
>
> mThis all works really well in terms of development, as I tend to build
> the dependency chain manually rather than by using prt-get.
>
> However, this method breaks prt-get in many ways (due to it not being
> aware of the multiarch ports structure)
>
> The way I see it there are 2 options:
>
> 1. Continue using the multiarch structure, modifying existing utilities
> as needed.
>
> 2. Only use the multiarch in the development tree and use a utility to
> merge each arch into it's own public repo.

It would be nice to see crux-devel do that implementation (#2) for crux.

> 	irc://irc.freenode.net#crux64
>
> See you there....maybe.

OK - see ya - Mike aka jmvr