[crux64] multiarch

Lucas Hazel lucas at die.net.au
Thu Jan 11 21:06:09 UTC 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:49:02 -0500
mvanroy <mvanroy at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Lucas Hazel wrote:
> > In the upcoming CRUX64 release, I am dabbling in a multiarch
> > implementation. This is a deviation from the method used in
> > 2.1.1-rc2 that uses a seperate compat32 repo.
> >
> I am using the original 2.2-test1 and gradually going to 2.3 ports.
> Only I am going strictly x86_64.
> > The implemenation I am using extends existing ports using the
> > following hierarchy (? indicates that the file is optional)
> >
> > port/
> > 	Pkgfile
> > 	.footprint
> > 	.md5sum
> >
> > 	x86_64/
> > 		Pkgfile?
> > 		.footprint?
> > 		(x86_64 specific sources included in port)
> >
> > 	compat32/
> > 		Pkgfile?
> >
> IMHO this makes things too complicated. Every port has to be
> modified. I prefer to disable multiarch and eliminate the lib32
> altogether. So far it seems to work in all but a few core and opt
> ports without modification.

No, not every port needs to be modified, only the ones that require
modification. Also you are confusing multiarch with multilib.

I should also point out, that in the modifications I have made to the
pkgmk script, a port will attempt to use it's arch subdirectory, but
will default to the base port. Also, that if the target arch is the
same at the host arch the $name-$arch#... naming scheme is not used,
rather it reverts to the usually $name#... package name.

I suppose in such a ports tree there should be a better method to
define a difference between multilib and pure64 (this would
essenstially just be a naming mechanism). However the main intention of
the multiarch port structure was to also allow other architectures to
be integrated into the structure, not just x86_64/compat32, so that all
developers of CRUX could work together rather than in the splintered
environment that currently exists.

I have spoken to some of the CRUXPPC developers, they are interested in
the idea and there may be the possibility I will be merging my ports
tree with theirs into such a multiarch system.

--
Lucas Hazel <lucas at die.net.au>

"Clothes make the man. Naked men are rarely taken
seriously, or given employment." (Mark Twain)