[crux64] multilib vs. soft dependencies

Lucas Hazel lucas at die.net.au
Wed Jun 25 01:09:31 UTC 2008

Some configure scripts automatically detect the presence of libraries,
on a single library system this isn't a problem. However, when building
32bit support libraries on a mixed 32/64bit system the 64bit libraries
get detected, but not tested by the configure script, only to fail
during the linking process.

It is not feasible to add all soft deps to the compat32 Pkgfile so
these need to be detected. Rather than let these fail and let the user
figure it out, I've come up with a solution, but I'm not sure how it
would bode with with CRUX philosophy.

I have a small script called compat32_dep_check(attached) which checks
for the existence of soft dependencies. For example:

# Maintainer:  Jürgen Daubert, juergen dot daubert at t-online dot de
# Arch Maintainer: Lucas Hazel, lucas at die dot net dot au
# Depends on:  cups, libpng-compat32, libtiff-compat32, openssl-compat32

name=cups-compat32
version=1.3.7
release=1
source=(http://ftp.easysw.com/pub/cups/$version/cups-$version-source.tar.bz2
    cups-config.patch cups-config32)

compat32_dep_check $name dbus || exit 1

build () {

I put it before build so the port will fail before we start extracting
sources and save some time, which some of you might not notice, but I'm
using NFS shared sources over a wireless link and source extraction can
be quite slow at times.

As I said, I'm not sure if this sits will with the CRUX way of doing
things, such as enforcing dependencies. But it's a necessary evil to
get compat32 ports to compile cleanly. That or we can let the end user
figure out the soft deps on their own.

I'm not sure how interested the rest of you are in multilib, but I'm
not really interested in using a 64bit only system on my home desktop.
I need to watch youtube videos and I need to be able to play GTA when
the world is getting me down :)

--
Lucas Hazel <lucas at die.net.au>