[crux64] multilib vs. soft dependencies

Mikhail Kolesnik mike at openbunker.org
Wed Jun 25 10:30:13 UTC 2008

Hello, Johannes.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:15:20 +0200
Johannes Winkelmann <jw at smts.ch> wrote:

> > I'm not sure how interested the rest of you are in multilib, but I'm
> > not really interested in using a 64bit only system on my home desktop.
> > I need to watch youtube videos and I need to be able to play GTA when
> > the world is getting me down :)
> Heh. I'm pretty sure that the majority of our users today will have some
> 32-bit applications they want to run, so at this point multilib seems
> favourable to me. As mentioned I hope that we can go pure 64 at some
> point in time, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Multilib system solves just a few things forcing to deal with many
(still undefined) hooks and 'special cases'. As the time goes, those
(32bit) binary-only apps might be replaced by major vendors.

I thought it could be possible to start from 'pure 64bit' set of
core/opt ports and make a test release. The next step could be to clone
that set and convert it to a multilib system, if the demand will still
be high.

The point here is: desktop user will have almost no benefits any 64bit
system, but multilib version of that will give him some pain (time to
solve issues, maintain multilib ports). On the other hand, server
'pure 64bit' system will be much more simple and might have some
real speed and scaling improvements.

I know, creating 'pure 64bit' system is not that hard (even for a
single person), but I really want some kind of official crux release for
that. It makes much easier to cooperate and find bugs with fairly wide
community.

--
Mikhail Kolesnik
ICQ: 260259143